2010年5月10日 星期一

Taiwanese Puppetry as a sub-culture

Many of my friends are infatuated with the Pili Puppetry series. Two of them draw drawings featured with characters that have appeared in the Pili series. I love to watch those series as well. Personally, because I have watched Pili puppetry with my father since I was seven. I had deep affection to it, which has accompanied my childhood till now. To me, the pronunciation of Taiwanese is very different from the use of Taiwanese I use in my life. It sounds more scholarly and educated. Sometimes, I really wonder how the script-writers come up with diverse use of vocabulary and complex plot. It is very fascinating to me because listening to the utterances from each character is one enjoyment. For different groups of characters the pronunciation differs. There are different word choices for characters to indicate the same thing. By listening to the conversation, you can simply identify which group the character belongs to.


For my friends, they adore the design of the puppets. For them, each puppet is a piece of art. The delicate clothing, weapon, and hairstyle of each character show how creative the production team is. They also invent different poems, theme songs, names for attacking skills for their characters. Thus, creating a new character is not an easy job. And the successful establishment of a character makes my friends crazy. They all adore the creativity and originality of the production team. When there is a comic expo, many people dress themselves like characters in the puppetry series to pay tribute to the characters and their makers.


I think Pili really does a great job in making the puppetry appealing to younger generations. I have heard from my father that Pili employs college students to write scripts and perform theme songs for characters. With the employment of young generation, I think Pili can keep absorbing new energy and create more fascinating plot, songs, and characters.

Sharon Zheng

沒有留言:

張貼留言